- Maintain a consistent sleep and wake schedule . Go to bed at the same time every day, provide a comfortable sleeping environment, and get up at the same time every morning.
- Create a relaxing bedtime ritual . Take time to relax before going to bed. For example, listen to some soothing music, take a warm bath or try meditation.
- Avoid caffeine, alcohol and nicotine . All three of these substances can keep you awake and can seriously disrupt your sleep pattern.
- Avoid using screens such as your smartphone or tablet ****before going to bed. Blue light from screens reduces melatonin production and can keep you awake.
- Make your bedroom dark . Use blackout curtains or use an eye mask to darken your bedroom.
- Exercise every day . Regular exercise can help improve your sleep quality.
Pharmacist Dirk Christiaen
Founder of Metis Supplements